Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Your BIRTH DAY -- June 25th, 2010

The week you were born was indeed a very busy week. Obviously, we had not planned on you coming early as everyone in my life was telling me-
"you have not dropped- you've got a long way to go"
"you are too small- he needs more time in there"
"you should emotionally prepare yourself to go over your due date"

Well these words stuck and your dad and I thought we would have to prepare ourselves for yet another couple weeks of waiting. I had planned on taking Friday the 25th off to start my maternity leave, 4 whole days before your due date. It had been very busy at work all of June and I had considered working that Friday just to help out but your dad convinced me otherwise. My last day at work (Thursday) I spent rushing around trying to finish up all the loose ends before leaving for good. That afternoon I had a weekly appointment with Dr. Meyers to check and see if any progress had been made. On the way to the appointment I called your Nana and aunt Joy and talked to them about how strange I was feeling. I told them that I seemed to be having a lot more "yucky symptoms" today (sorry to include that but it's true). Nana squealed with excitement and said, "Melissa, it's going to be soon!" I assured her it was not going to be soon and restated all the reasons why. I told her that your dad and I planned on going to Birmingham Friday night to stay at a Bed and Breakfast. We wanted to celebrate possibly our last weekend of "just us"( Little did we know that our last weekend of "just us" was in fact, last weekend). Nana was not happy about the Birmingham trip and said that she did not think this was a good idea. I told her that I would talk to Dr. Meyers and get her approval before going. Each time I had gone to see Dr. Meyers that month she would look at me and say,"Well nothing yet", much to my dismay. But today she had better news. She said that I was probably 1cm dilated and 70% effaced! I was pumped! Finally some progression. Dr. Meyers was happy for me too, but said that it didn't mean you were coming soon.   I asked her if she thought it would still be ok for your dad and I to go to Birmingham Friday night.  She gave me two thumbs up. So I happily went back to work to finish things up. I ended up working until 7:30 that night making sure I had not left anything undone. On the way home I called your Nana. I told her the good news I got from Dr. Meyers and told her we were still planning on going to Birmingham Friday night. Nana continued to try and persuade me not to go. I was still talking with her on the phone when I got home and all of the sudden a burst of liquid rushed out and then stopped. I thought- great just another one of the wonderful pregnancy pluses... loosing control of your bladder. I ended the conversation with Nana and thought- that was weird? When your dad got home I laughed and told him that I thought I peed my pants! We laughed and didn't think much more about it. About an hour later I became "uncomfortable". I didn't know what was going on, I was just restless. Soon after that I started to experience some contractions.  Well, I know now they were contractions, but at the time I was convinced I was just having some braxton hicks. Your dad kept telling me they were contractions and I kept assuring him that they were not!    He began to time them asking me every couple minutes if I thought I was having another one.  And I just kept saying, "I don't know?!"   About another 30 minutes later the contractions became a little more intense. Your dad went and took a shower and started gathering things up around the house to take to the hospital. I told him to "STOP!" ... I was determined not to go to the hospital because I was sure they would just send us home.  He just kept telling me- "Ok we won't go, I'm just getting things ready just in case".   Your dad was so sweet that night.  I was so argumentative and stubborn, but he handled me so well :).  Finally your dad said, "OK Melissa I think we need to go to the hospital.  You are having contractions about 5 -7 minutes apart." At this point, I was on the floor on my hands and knees still arguing with your dad. I finally caved in and got in the shower to get myself ready to go.  This made your dad very uncomfortable thinking we were going to have you at home.  We got to the hospital at 12:00 am almost exactly. Dad wanted to drop me off at the emergency room doors, but I could not stop my argumentative ways and insisted on walking. I don't know why I was acting so stubborn, but I was convinced you were not coming this soon. They wheeled us to the maternity ward where they hooked me up to the monitors and found that my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. I kept saying, Eric they are going to send us home". Soon after being hooked up to the monitors they admitted us and brought us into our room.  I know your dad was thinking "I TOLD YOU SO!" But, being the good husband that he is, he didn't say it :).  The contractions were very strong and continued to come 2-3 minutes apart lasting about 1-2 minutes. I was exhausted and your dad was also exhausted.  We had been up since yesterday morning!  We decided to get an epidural at about 4am Friday morning. This is when we met our awesome nurse Ashleigh. She was a God-send. Your dad and I had been praying for a great nurse as we learned from the classes- nurses are the ones that get you through labor. I learned a lot about Ashleigh's life that night and I truly think God brought us together for a reason. (more on that later). Friday at about 7:30 am I started to get visitors much to my surprise. People from work came to wish us luck. At about 8:00am I was only dilated to 2. Each hour I dilated more and more. By 11:00 I was fully dilated and it was time to push!

Your daddy and the nurse were so encouraging.  In between contractions your dad got out the ipod dock and decided to play AC/DC Thunderstruck- in an effort to "pump me up".  We laughed so hard and I think nurse Ashleigh thought we were CRAZY! :)  I was in labor with you for about an hour and then Doctor Emig came in to deliver you.  You were born at 12:09 pm 7lbs even and 19 3/4 inches long.  When you came out you had the cord wrapped around your neck so the Dr. quickly cut it and took you away to make sure your lungs were not full.  You had also swallowed some meconium so they were making sure that it did not get in your lungs.  About an hour later they finally gave you to me.   Daddy then played "How Great is our God" on the ipod dock and even Dr. Emig sang along.

Luke, I cannot describe the overwhelming feeling I experienced when they put you in my arms.  You were instantly and intensely loved by your dad and I.  You are our perfect gift from God.  

Luke 3:22 "You are my son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." Thank you God for our precious son Luke Lawrence.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the story Melis. We need to talk soon so I can hear about Luke!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...