Friday, January 21, 2011

Feeling soooo French!

I'm in my new kitchen and find myself missing my old kitchen quite often.  However, being the new year and all, I decided I can no longer dwell on the past- so in honor of that line of thought, I decided to try something new in my new kitchen.  I saw this post a few months ago and have been wanting to try it ever since.  I finally remembered to pick myself up a cast iron skillet the last time I was at the store and wanted one solely for this recipe.  I now believe owning one of these makes my surprisingly southern kitchen more legit, don't you?  Ok, so here's what this is.  Apple Tarte Tatin.  Say that 3x's fast.  Fun huh?  OH MY... you will not be sorry you tried this.  ONE, because it really is so delicious and TWO, which is the most important part in my opinion, you really feel incredibly accomplished when this beauty makes it's debut from the pan.  I love Joy the Baker and I especially love the cute and helpful video that accompanies this recipe.  Enjoy!

1 stick melted salted butter + 1 cup sugar.  
We've started off well don't you think?
Whisk together and spread out evenly over the pan.

Cut and peel 6-7 apples- Fuji and Granny Smith.  
Arrange over the butter/sugar goodness.

Place on the stove and cook over medium high heat for 10-18 mins.  
Until you see the carmely goodness begin to bubble and brown.
Purchase Puff Pastry and thaw.  While apples are cooking roll out puff pastry so it fits over the cast iron skillet.   I don't have pictures of this process because my hands were too floury.  Plus this part made me very nervous, but it turned out you really can't make a mistake- unless you touch the bowling hot sugar... that would be a mistake.  Once the apples are done, remove them from the heat and carefully place puff pastry over the top.  Place cast iron skillet in the preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Watch in amazement as the puffing happens!

Cool 30 mins.  Run knife around the edge and 
VERY carefully flip the cast iron onto a plate.
How about that?!?!
BEAUTIFUL and DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...